- Post Graduate Diploma in Smart Manufacturing is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- This programme is of 2 semesters and can be pursued only by working professionals. You can pursue the programme without any career break.
- The programme will also enable working professionals to attend contact classes from anywhere over a technology-enabled platform. The contact classes will be conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours.
- The programme gives state-of-the-art exposure for BIG DATA Analytics, Mechatronics, Cyber Security Manufacturing etc.
- Practitioner-oriented insights from industry experts will help you develop solutions to real-world problems using cutting edge analytical techniques.
- The programme uses a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners over convenient and regular intervals.
- Such a system provides timely and frequent feedback and helps busy working professionals stay on course with the programme.
- The education delivery methodology is a blend of classroom and experiential learning
- Experiential learning consists of lab exercises, assignments, case studies, research projects, and work-integrated activities
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of an elite & global community of BITS Pilani Alumni.
- Option to submit fee using easy- EMI with 0% interest and 0 down payment.
- Industrial IoT
- Big Data Analytics in Manufacturing
- Cyber Security in Manufacturing
- Connected Manufacturing
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Mechanics & Robotics
- Microfabrication Technologies
- Machine Learning
- Blockchain Technologies & Systems
- Cloud Computing
Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. A limited selection of Electives will be offered at the discretion of the Institute.
For detailed programme curriculum, download the brochure.
Mode of Learning
The Mode of Learning used in this programme is called - Work Integrated Learning. Internationally, Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is defined as "An educational approach involving three parties - the student, educational institution, and employer organization(s) - consisting of authentic work-focused experiences as an intentional component of the curriculum. Students learn through active engagement in purposeful work tasks, which enable the integration of theory with meaningful practice that is relevant to the students' discipline of study and/or professional development*.
An education model can be considered as WIL if and only if:
- The programs are designed and developed by the institute in collaboration with industry.
- Work-focused experiences form an active part of the curriculum.
- The program structure, pedagogy and assessment enable integration of theory-with relevant practice.
The innovative Work Integrated Learning Programs (WILP) of BITS Pilani are quite aligned with the above definition and requirements. The programs are designed in collaboration with its industry partners, subject matter experts from industry and academia that enable the students to remain relevant in their chosen profession, grow in their career and retain the habit of lifelong learning. The continued availability of workplace related experiences along with the weekly instruction sessions promote integration of theory with practice. An active participation of the organization mentor in the learning process of the student plays a key role. Case studies, simulation exercises, labs and projects further strengthen this integration.
The WILP of BITS Pilani is comparable to its campus-based programs in terms of structure, rigor, instruction, labs, assessment, faculty profile and learning support. The pervasive adoption of technology in all its academic processes makes the same high-quality education of BITS Pilani available to the aspirants at scale with the required flexibility.
Key Benefits of BITS Pilani WILP
1) Can pursue the programme without any career break and along with the job.
2) The programme curriculum is highly relevant to sectors, industries and organisations they work for
3) In addition to the institute, the learning experience of working professionals in the programme is also supported by the employer organisation and Industry Mentors.
4) Effective use of technology to deliver a range of learning interventions at the location of the working professional such as faculty contact sessions, asynchronous learning materials, remote, virtual and cloud labs, Learner support, peer to peer collaboration etc.
5) Contact sessions with faculty take place mostly over weekends or after business hours and are conducted over a technology platform that can be accessed from anywhere.
6) Mid semester and End semester examinations for every semester are conducted mostly at designated examination centres distributed across the country (for details refer to link mode of examinations)
7) Learners can access engaging learning material which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content where applicable.
The programme emphasises on Experiential Learning that allows learners to apply concepts learnt in classroom in simulated, and real work situations.This is achieved through
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, lab exercises, and Comprehensive Exams.
CASE STUDIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
Case Studies and Assignments: Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the program.
The Post Graduate Diploma in Smart Manufacturing offers state-of-the-art lab infrastructure to provide students with hands-on experience and practical learning opportunities. The lab infrastructure includes:
This laboratory offers a diverse range of capabilities for hands-on exploration in mechatronics and control systems. Students can simulate fundamental concepts of signal sensing, conditioning, and output actuation, gaining practical insights into the intricacies of mechatronic systems. The lab facilitates the comprehensive simulation of complete mechatronic setups, integrating sensors, microcontrollers, and actuators. Additionally, students can delve into the intricacies of hydraulic and pneumatic circuits, gaining practical experience in their simulation. The facility also supports simulated programming of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) using ladder logic. Furthermore, students can explore actuator modeling using MATLAB-SIMULINK and delve into the principles of P, PI, and PID control through MATLAB-SIMULINK simulations, providing a holistic and hands-on learning experience in mechatronics and control systems engineering.
Industrial IoT Lab
The laboratory provides advanced capabilities in data acquisition, particularly from Internet of Things (IoT) sensors through remote experiments. It trains students to develop dashboards using the open IoT Platform integrated with MATLAB Analytics. These capabilities are harnessed to reinforce the theoretical foundations covered in the IIoT course, enabling students to create and apply connected things. The lab facilitates the acquisition and display of sensor data, as well as remote operation and control of a water bottling plant, accessible through both computer and mobile applications. The laboratory extends its capabilities to incorporate Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) applications. Moreover, basic data analysis is seamlessly performed, enhancing the overall learning experience in the realm of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).
Big Data Analytics in Manufacturing Lab
The laboratory provides students with an advanced learning environment in MySQL database management. It guides students through the creation and deployment of databases, emphasizing expertise in the seamless integration of MySQL databases and the execution of queries for sensor data. The lab extends its capabilities by enabling students to upload sensor data to the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Cloud, where they can perform advanced queries using GCP BigQuery. Leveraging Python, students engage in insightful data analytics, gaining a comprehensive understanding of data processing techniques. Moreover, the lab demonstrates proficiency in material property prediction for sheets, incorporating Machine Learning (ML) models for precise predictions. Students also explore the prediction of bearing live and roll life using ML models, and the application of Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) for defect prediction in sheets. These diverse and advanced capabilities emphasize the lab's commitment to providing students with a sophisticated and multifaceted environment for mastering database management, data analytics, and predictive modeling.
Cybersecurity in Manufacturing Lab
The laboratory provides students with an immersive experience in threat modeling tailored to manufacturing plant scenarios, guiding them through the systematic identification and cataloging of potential risks. With a dedicated focus on cybersecurity, students gain hands-on experience using network reconnaissance tools like WHOIS, DIG, Traceroute, and NSLookup to extract intricate details about network and domain registrar information. Through engaging Tabletop Exercises, students evaluate and enhance their network incident response preparedness, fostering a proactive approach to addressing potential threats. In the realm of cryptography, students have the opportunity to develop programs facilitating secure and encrypted message exchange between client-server setups. Additionally, leveraging advanced tools like NMap, students perform comprehensive scans, honing skills in open port detection, OS fingerprinting, ping scans, and both TCP and UDP port scans. This immersive learning environment underscores the laboratory's commitment to providing students with hands-on experiences in proactive threat mitigation and cybersecurity readiness, particularly in the context of manufacturing plant scenarios.
Connected Manufacturing Lab
The laboratory extends a valuable learning experience to students by immersing them in the development of digital twins. Leveraging cutting-edge tools such as SIMULINK, Microsoft Azure, Flexsim, and others, students gain hands-on expertise in crafting digital twins for process optimization and predictive maintenance. The lab also delves into warehouse management systems, providing students with practical insights into efficient logistics operations. Furthermore, students explore communication protocols for collaborative robots, honing skills in optimizing teamwork among robotic systems. Additionally, the lab offers an opportunity to work with wearables designed for worker safety, allowing students to understand and implement solutions that prioritize and enhance the well-being of industrial personnel. This comprehensive approach underscores the laboratory's commitment to providing students with practical and applicable skills in digital twin development and associated technologies for various industrial applications.
Machine Learning Lab
This lab empowers students by offering hands-on experience in the entire lifecycle of machine learning. Students have the opportunity to prepare datasets, develop and evaluate machine learning models, perform hyperparameter tuning, and deploy models, all while using essential tools such as Python, Matlab Simulink, and SQL. Additionally, students gain proficiency in a range of machine learning libraries including scikit-learn, kmeans, knn, opencv, prophet, lightfm, keras, tensor flow, and openai.
Cloud Computing Lab
This lab equips students with comprehensive skills in cloud computing. Students engage in tasks such as setting up and managing cloud-based datasets, developing applications for the cloud, optimizing resource allocation, and deploying and monitoring applications in a cloud environment. Utilizing essential tools like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform, students gain hands-on experience in cloud infrastructure and services, enhancing their proficiency in cloud computing technologies.
Mode Of Examination
Mode of Examinations applicable for students admitted in Batch starting in April/May 2024:
Semester 1, 2 have Mid-Semester Examinations and Comprehensive Examinations for each course. These examinations are mostly scheduled on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Students need to appear in person for taking the examinations at the institution’s designated examination centres as per the examination schedule, Instructions, rules and guidelines announced before every examination.
Students can take their examination at any of our 23 designated examination centres in India at the following locations:
South Zone: Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Coimbatore.
North Zone: Delhi NCR, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Lucknow and Pilani.
West Zone: Mumbai, Pune, Goa, Ahmedabad, Indore and Nagpur.
East Zone: Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar, Guwahati and Jamshedpur.
In addition to these locations, the Institution also has a designated examination centre in Dubai.
During these semesters, in addition to the above mentioned Mid-Semester and Comprehensive examinations, there will also be Quizzes/Assignments conducted online on the Learning Management System (LMS) as per the course plan in which the students need to participate.
Employed professionals holding B.E./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or its equivalent with at least 60% aggregate marks, and are employed in an industry relevant to the program.
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2023-24.
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 63,500
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay INR 80,000/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre. Option to pay fees using an easy EMI with 0% interest and 0 down payment. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
Important: For every course in the program institute will recommend textbooks, students would need to procure these textbooks on their own.
How to Apply
- Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor. Click here to know who could be a Mentor.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
Meant for engineering graduates with or without industry experience aspiring to venture into the niche domain of Smart Manufacturing.
Yes, you will join the proud alumni network of BITS Pilani and you can participate in all the relevant events organized by the BITSAA.
This program is designed for engineering graduates who do not have any prior working experience in Smart Manufacturing or automotive engineering. The program prepares the engineers for a career in the niche domain of automotive Smart Manufacturing from basics. Thus, it is not a short term training/ skill development program but a comprehensive formal post graduate diploma program.
On an average a student is expected to spend around 25-30 hours per week.
Students can interact with their respective faculty during the weekly periodic Contact sessions. In addition to this students can reach out to the faculty and teaching assistants using discussion forums and chats.
A student aspiring to enroll for the program should have a valid engineering degree.
Smart Manufacturing in general and automotive Smart Manufacturing in particular is a rapidly emerging area with significant skill gaps. Organizations are keen to recruit people who have adequate knowledge in Smart Manufacturing. This program has been designed in collaboration with such organizations to bridge this skill gap. Telangana Manufacturing Valley as a part of the larger initiative is promoting this program. Considering the above it can be said with fair confidence that students will secure placement on successful completion of the program. The institute will also organize periodic engagements with prospective industries to showcase the student talents.
Such students need to undertake a special course namely Automotive Vehicles. The digital content will be shared by the institute and it will be a self learnt course. There will not be any assessment/ grading for this