- M.Tech. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- The programme is of four semesters, with online classes conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours. You can pursue the programme without any career break.
- Offers the most comprehensive AI & ML Curriculum for working professionals.
- The programme has an unmatched range & depth, and covers the widest variety of skill & knowledge areas required to develop advanced AI solutions.
- Meant for IT professionals and Software developers aiming to become expert Machine Learning Engineers & AI Scientists.
- The programme offers a set of core courses and elective courses, allowing students to gain expertise in Advanced Deep learning, Computational Learning theory, Speech Processing, Natural Language Processing, etc..
- The programme makes use of Tools and Technologies. These include Tensorflow for Deep Learning and various Python libraries for data processing, machine learning, OpenCV for computer vision, NLTK for NLP etc.
- The Dissertation (Project Work) in the final semester enables students to apply concepts and techniques learned during the programme.
- The programme uses a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners over convenient and regular intervals. Such a system provides timely and frequent feedback and helps busy working professionals stay on course with the programme.
- The education delivery methodology is a blend of classroom and experiential learning. Experiential learning consists of Virtual lab exercises, assignments, case studies and work-integrated activities.
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of an elite & global community of BITS Pilani Alumni
- Option to submit fee using easy-EMI with 0% interest.
BITS Pilani is an Institution of Eminence under UGC (Institution of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017. The Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) of BITS Pilani constitutes a unique set of educational offerings for working professionals. WILP are an extension of programmes offered at the BITS Pilani Campuses and are comparable to our regular programmes both in terms of unit/credit requirements as well as academic rigour. In addition, it capitalises and further builds on practical experience of students through high degree of integration, which results not only in upgradation of knowledge, but also in up skilling, and productivity increase. The programme may lead to award of degree, diploma, and certificate in science, technology/engineering, management, and humanities and social sciences. On the recommendation of the Empowered Expert Committee, UGC in its 548th Meeting held on 09.09.2020 has approved the continued offering of BITS Pilani’s Work Integrated Learning programmes.
Participants need to take at least 12 courses towards coursework, and complete one Project/ Dissertation. The coursework requirement for the programme would consist of a set of core courses and electives. Core courses are compulsory for all participants, while electives can be chosen based on individual learning preferences.
- Mathematical Foundations for Machine Learning
- Introduction to Statistical Methods
- Artificial and Computational Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Deep Neural Networks
- Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Elective 5
- Elective 6
Pool of Electives for : Deep Learning Specialization
- Advanced Deep learning #
- Graph Neural Networks
- Distributed Machine Learning
- ML System Optimization
- Fair, Accountable, Transparent Machine Learning
- Computational Learning Theory
Note: 3 courses are required including the course marked in #
Pool of Electives for : NLP Specialization
- NLP Applications
- Speech Processing
- Conversational AIx
- Social Media Analytics
- Natural Language Processing #
- Information Retrieval
Note: 3 courses are required including the course marked in #
General Pool of Electives
- Design of Algorithms
- Computer Vision
- Probabilistic Graphical Models
- Audio Analytics
- AI and ML for Robotics
- Data Management for Machine Learning
- Video Analytics
- Automated Reasoning
- Advanced Data Mining
- AI and ML techniques for Cyber Security
- Metaheuristics for Optimization
Note: Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. Students' choice will be taken as one of the factors while deciding on the Electives offered. However, Electives finally offered will be at the discretion of the Institute
For detailed programme curriculum, download the brochure.
The programme emphasises on Experiential Learning that allows learners to apply concepts learnt in the classroom in simulated, and real work situations. This is achieved through:
- Simulation Tools, Platforms & Environments: Some or all of the following would be utilised across the programme. Tensorflow for Deep Learning and various Python libraries for data processing, machine learning, OpenCV for computer vision, NLTK for NLP etc.
ATTEND ONLINE LECTURES OVER WEEKENDS
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus.
Classes for students admitted during the period Jan 2023 - Mar / Apr 2023 will begin in Mar / Apr 2023. The class schedule is announced within 1 week of completion of the admission process.
The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Learners can access engaging learning material which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content where applicable.
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, Mid-semester exam, and Comprehensive Exam.
CASE STUDIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the programme.
DISSERTATION/ PROJECT WORK
The fourth semester offers an opportunity for learners to apply their knowledge gained during the programme to a real-world like complex project. The learner is expected to demonstrate understanding of vital principles learnt across semesters and their ability to successfully apply these concepts.
In addition to live weekly online lectures, supplementary live online sessions will be organised periodically comprising of tutorials, doubt-clearing interactions, and industry talks (18-20 hours per semester).
The programme features live online sessions on some of the most exciting developments, and pressing issues faced by businesses in the technology space. Speakers include business leaders, R&D professionals, and academicians from leading technology firms and institutions.
Some of the recent and upcoming sessions include:
Title of Tech Talk
|Blockchain as a key component of FinTech||January 2023||Raam Baranidharan, CTO - BlokTrek|
|Personalizing the Online Grocery Substitution Experience||February 2022||Dr. Rahul Ghosh, Senior Director of Data Science, Walmart India
Kamiya Motwani, Senior Data Science Manager, Walmart India
|Applying Data Science Technologies in HealthCare||December 2021||Manisha Mantri, Joint Director, C-DAC, Pune|
|Financial Risk Modelling using ML Techniques||November 2021||Mayank Rasu, Guest Faculty at WILP CSIS Department|
|Enterprise Cloud Transformation Journey||October 2021||Surendra Tipparaju, Principal Architect Manager, Microsoft Hyderabad|
|Cyber Threat Intelligence||June 2021||Nandi Dharma KishoRe H.N., Assistant Vice President - K7 Threat Control Lab|
|Cellular V2X||May 2021||Brijesh Unnikrishnan, Principa
|3D processing and Computation - An Engineering View||May 2021||Dr. Raghavendra Singh, Directo
|SDLC in the Devops world||April 2021||Meshach Samuel, Associate VP, HCL|
|Recent Trends in Database Administration||April, 2021||Gautam Avarsala
Managing Director, dBPro Software Solutions
|Service Assurance in 5G networks: An AI/ML perspective||
|Ashvin Lakshmikantha, Principal Engineer –System Architecture
Anand Eswaran, Principal Engineer – System Architecture
Cloud Networking Group, Ericsson R&D, Bangalore
|Blockchain:Technology backbone for Digital economy||March, 2021||Sridhar Vedhanabatla
Associate Director, Information Security & Privacy, Gainsight
Mode Of Examination
Examinations Mode Options applicable for students admitted in Batch starting in Mar / Apr 2023
Semester 1, 2 and 3 have Mid-Semester Examinations and Comprehensive Examinations for each of course. These examinations are mostly scheduled over weekends. During these semesters, in addition to the Mid-Semester and Comprehensive examinations, there will also be Quizzes/Assignments conducted online on the Learning Management System (LMS) as per the course plan in which the students need to participate. In Semester 4 (Final Semester), the student will be doing a Dissertation/Project Work as per the Institution’s guidelines.
Two Options on Mode of Examinations during Semester 1 & 2 :
The institution offers a choice between taking the examination Online or taking them at a Designated Examination Center. The student will choose one of the options depending on his or her own preference and circumstances. Both options are explained below:
Students choosing this option can take the examinations online from any location e.g. office or home. To take an Online Examination, the student must possess a Laptop or Desktop system with Two Web Cams (One Web Cam for the student’s frontal face view and a Second Web Cam for the student’s and Laptop or Desktop system’s full side view during the exam), a smartphone and good internet connectivity. Please click here to refer to the complete details about mandatory IT and Non-IT Infrastructure requirements for taking the online examinations. You should choose this option only if you are confident to arrange the required mandatory IT Infrastructure and Non-IT Infrastructure to take the examinations under this mode. Students opting for online examinations should log in to the institution’s online examination platform as per the examination schedule and take the online examinations in compliance with the institution’s defined instructions, guidelines, and rules which will be announced before the examinations.
Examinations at Designated Examination Centers:Students choosing this option will need to appear in person for taking the examinations at the institution’s designated examination centers. These designated examination centers are at the following locations: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi NCR, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Kolkata, Goa, and Pilani. In addition to these locations, Institution also has a designated examination center in Dubai. Please note that the offering of examinations at designated examination centers is subject to the institution’s assessment of the safety conditions as per prevailing pandemic conditions and also subject to a required minimum number of students preferring this option. The institution may choose not to offer this option, if as per its own assessment, the safety situation due to pandemic conditions is not conducive to conducting examinations at designated examination centers or if as per its assessment, an adequate number of students have not preferred for this option. In circumstances as explained, Institute will then conduct the examinations only in online mode.
Important:The option of taking Online Exams for Semester 1 & 2 will remain available for normal duration of the programme. However, in case a student chooses to take a break from the programme, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time the student resumes the programme. Also, if a student has backlog course/s to successfully complete and due to which he/she needs to register in additional semester/s over and above the normal duration of the programmes, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time when a student registers for an additional semester.
Also note that The Institute regularly takes actions to optimize its examination system and hence the mandatory IT and Non-IT Infrastructure requirements, instructions, guidelines, and rules associated with online and designated examination center exams may change at the Institute's discretion. All students will need to 100% comply with any such changed specifications announced by the Institute.
Mode of Examinations for Semester 3:
One or both of the options on the mode of the examination as listed above for Semester 1 & 2 will be made available as per discretion of the institution. The institution’s decision on the mode of examinations will take into account its assessment of the pandemic situation and any other feasibility constraints associated with each mode. The Institution’s decision on the mode of examination to be offered to the student will be as per its sole discretion and students must comply with the institution’s decision.
Mode of Evaluation for Semester 4 (Final Semester):
During Semester 4, students will be required to register for a full semester of Dissertation/Project work. Each submission required for the Dissertation/Project Work as per the institution’s guidelines can be made ONLINE on BITS Pilani’s approved and managed online assessment platform.
- Employed professionals holding B.E. / B.Tech. with at least 60% aggregate marks and minimum one-year relevant work experience after the completion of the degree are eligible to apply.
- Employed professionals holding MCA / M.Sc. or equivalent with at least 60% aggregate marks with university level mathematics / statistics as mandatory subjects and minimum one-year relevant work experience after the completion of the degree are also eligible to apply
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2022-23.
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 65,500
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay Rs. 82,000/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre.Fee payment by easy-EMIs with 0% interest. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
Important: For every course in the program institute will recommend textbooks, students would need to procure these textbooks on their own.
How to Apply
- Once your login has been created, you can anytime access the Online Application Center using your email id and password. Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor.
Who is a Mentor:
Candidates applying to Work Integrated Learning Programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. Wherever the proposed Mentor is not from the same employing organization as that of the candidate, a supporting document giving justification for the same should be provided by the candidate’s employer.
Candidates applying to B.Tech. programmes should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with B.E./ B.S./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ A.M.I.E./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or equivalent
Candidates applying to M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, M.Phil programme should choose a Mentor who is an employedprofessional with:
B.E. / M.Sc. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / M.B.B.S. etc. and with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience
M.E./ M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Phil./ M.D./ Higher Degree of BITS or equivalent
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
Note: It is also possible that some candidates may receive a link to take an Online Learning Readiness Evaluation from the Admission Cell, after filling up the Online Application Form. This is a one-hour objective-type exercise which will ascertain minimum mathematical and programming acumen needed to pursue the programme. You will be given typically 48-hours to complete this online evaluation.
A sample model paper will also be provided to help you understand the format of Online Learning Readiness Evaluation. After the Online Learning Readiness Evaluation is completed, the Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within one week.
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus. The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
This programme is designed for working professionals. At the time of submitting the application, candidates must be employed in another organization. Professionals who are owners of a registered business are also eligible to apply. For detailed information, including academic background, work experience, etc. refer to the programme eligibility criteria.
Each semester has a Mid-semester Exam and a Comprehensive Exam, which are conducted over weekends. Participants will need to appear in-person to take these exams at exams centers in the following locations:
India Centers: Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pilani, Pune
International Centers: Dubai
In case participants are unable to take an exam due to work-related commitments, there is also a provision of appearing for Make-up Exams.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, an option of taking exams online is also being offered. For details, please refer to the programme brochure.
The programme provides high degree of interactivity between participants and the faculty members and programme instructors. Q&A sessions during the live online lectures allow participants to pose questions to the faculty members, and seek guidance through voice and chat. Further interaction with faculty members and peers is enabled through the e-learning portal, by using discussion forums and message boards.
The programme features high usage of experiential learn components such as Simulations, Virtual Labs, and Remote Labs, in order to mimic the on-campus experience.
Participants will be given access to portals, that will allow them to access both cloud-based labs, as well as Campus-based physical labs. Using leading industry-recognised Software tools, Programming languages, and Simulation software, participants will be able to perform experiments and run simulations to advance their knowledge
Candidates applying to the programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
The programme is designed for working professionals, and participants are not required to travel to a BITS campus. However, certain programme offer Campus Immersion Modules such as workshops or seminars, which are highly recommended but not mandatory.