- M.Tech. Software Engineering is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). All BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- It’s a four-semester online programme conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours.
- Extensive use of Cloud-based virtual labs and Remote labs to give hands-on access to tools and platforms such as Jenkins, Docker, GitHub, SonarQube, Selenium, Tomcat, Maven, Open Project, Gantt Project and WireShark, Java, Python, Prolog, Lisp, Selenium Web driver, Python Ecosystem – NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, scikit-learn, MatplotLib; Searborn, Keras, NLTK, SQLite and pgmpy, Eclipse, Weka, Microsoft Power BI, TensorFlow, Tableau and Anaconda Navigator, EdgecloudSim and IoTSimEdge, Apache Hadoop, Apache Storm, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, MongoDB, CockroachDB and MPI.
- The dissertation or project work in the final semester allows students to apply concepts and techniques learned during the programme to real-world situations.
- The programme entails a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners, over convenient and regular intervals. Such a system provides timely and frequent feedbacks and helps busy working professionals to stay on track with the programme.
- The education delivery methodology is a blend of classroom and experiential learning. Experiential learning consists of lab exercises, assignments, case studies and work-integrated activities.
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of the prestigious global community of BITS Pilani Alumni.
- Contact-less and safe Online exams facility.
- Option to submit fee using easy-EMI with 0% interest. Enroll with only INR 7,428 in the first month.
Classes are conducted by a pool of faculty members comprising of academicians from BITS Pilani, and guest faculty who are experienced industry professionals.
BITS Pilani is an Institution of Eminence under UGC (Institution of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017. The Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) of BITS Pilani constitutes a unique set of educational offerings for working professionals. WILP are an extension of programmes offered at the BITS Pilani Campuses and are comparable to our regular programmes both in terms of unit/credit requirements as well as academic rigour. In addition, it capitalises and further builds on practical experience of students through high degree of integration, which results not only in upgradation of knowledge, but also in up skilling, and productivity increase. The programme may lead to award of degree, diploma, and certificate in science, technology/engineering, management, and humanities and social sciences. On the recommendation of the Empowered Expert Committee, UGC in its 548th Meeting held on 09.09.20 has approved the continued offering of BITS Pilani’s Work Integrated Learning programmes.
Participants need to take at least 12 courses towards coursework, and complete one Project/ Dissertation. The coursework requirement for the programme would consist of a set of core courses and electives. Core courses are compulsory for all participants, while electives can be chosen based on individual learning preferences.
- Software Architectures
- Cloud Computing
- Agile Software Processes
- Elective 1
- Software Product Management
- Software Testing Methodologies
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Elective 5
- Elective 6
- Elective 7
- Data Visualization
- Data Mining
- Artificial Intelligence
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Introduction to DevOps
- Data Warehousing
- Embedded System Design
- Database Design & Applications
- Data Structures & Algorithm Design
- Big Data Systems
- Cyber Physical Systems
- Service Oriented Computing
- Usability Engineering
- Secure Software Engineer
- Applied Machine Learning
- Blockchain Technologies & Systems
- Scalable Services
- Cross Platform Application Development
- Edge Computing
- Open Source Software Engineering
- Middleware Technologies
- Software Project Managemen
- Hardware Software Co-Design
- Software Quality Management
- Cyber Security
Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. A limited selection of Electives will be offered at the discretion of the Institute.
For detailed programme curriculum, download the brochure.
ATTEND ONLINE LECTURES OVER WEEKENDS
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus.
Classes for students admitted during the period May-June 2020 will begin in July 2020. The class schedule is announced within 1 week of completion of the admission process.
The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Learners can access engaging learning material at their own pace which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content where applicable.
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, Mid-semester exam, and Comprehensive Exam.
The programme emphasizes on Experiential Learning that allows learners to apply concepts learnt in the classroom in simulated, and real work situations. This is achieved through 3 lab setups. Apart from these, AWS is also extensively used for experiments on Scalable Services.
- Cloud based virtual lab hosts Dev-Ops tool chain, languages and programming platforms for Full Stack engineering and other simulators:
- Tools : Jenkins, Docker, GitHub, SonarQube, Selenium, Tomcat, Maven, Open Project, Gantt Project and WireShark
- Languages and Library: Java, Python, Prolog, Lisp, Selenium Web driver, Python Ecosystem – NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, scikit-learn, MatplotLib; Searborn, Keras, NLTK, SQLite and pgmpy
- Programming Platforms: Eclipse, Weka, Microsoft Power BI, TensorFlow, Tableau and Anaconda Navigator
- Simulators: EdgecloudSim and IoTSimEdge
- Remote Lab facility caters to the needs of resource intensive requirements of Big Data Analytics applications with the following platforms:
- Apache Hadoop
- Apache Storm
- Apache Spark
- Apache Kafka
- Remote Lab facility caters to the needs of Embedded Systems and supports the following:
- Hardware / Software tools: MultiCore STM32 microcontroller based development boards.
- Simulation tools: Tossim, Cheddar and Keil.
CASE STUDIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the programme.
DISSERTATION/ PROJECT WORK
The fourth semester offers an opportunity for learners to apply their knowledge gained during the programme to a real-world like complex project. The learner is expected to demonstrate understanding of vital principles learnt across semesters and their ability to successfully apply these concepts.
Online Exams Option
Participants will be able to take examinations online from any location e.g. office or home. To take an online examination, students must possess a laptop or desktop with a webcam, a smart phone and good internet connectivity. These examinations will be either remotely proctored or non-proctored. Participants may also request to take the exam at an examination center designated by BITS Pilani in locations such as Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Goa, Delhi NCR, Pilani, Kolkata, and Dubai.
The minimum eligibility to apply: Employed professionals holding B. Tech., B.E, M.Sc., MCA, or equivalent in relevant disciplines with at least 60% aggregate marks and minimum one year of work experience in relevant domains.
If you are an IT professional in a technical role such as Software Developer, Test Engineer, Lead Engineer, Architect, or techno-managerial roles such as Product Manager and Project Manager, you should consider applying to the programme.
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2020-21
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 55,000
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay INR 71,500/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre. Fee payment by easy-EMIs with 0% is now available. Enroll with only INR 7,428 in the first month. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
Learning Continuity Assurance
For students taking new admission in First Semester 2020, Institution will offer a Learning Continuity Assurance facility. This is meant for students who face an unresolvable professional or medical situation during the semester 1 & 2 of their respective programme and wish to take a break during the semester and also register again in the same semester in future. Learning continuity Assurance will enable such student to take a break without losing the semester fee paid by them during Semester 1 and Semester 2 of their respective programme. To take a break and avail the benefit of Learning Continuity Assurance facility, the student will need to submit an application to the institution along with documentary proof to support the reason for taking the break. The authorised officer of the institution will decide if the reason for break in the application and the supporting proof is appropriate and is valid to grant the break. Those who are granted the break will be allowed to register in the semester again when it is offered in the future. Registering in the semester again after break is subject to availability of the programme and semester schedules prevailing at the time of registration. The decision to grant the break with Learning Continuity assurance will rest with the authorised officer of the institution. The facility to allow a break is also available in subsequent semesters (Semester 3 onwards), but in this case a student would need to pay the semester fee again to register and continue in the semester.
How to Apply
- Click here to visit the BITS Pilani Online Application Center. Create your login at the Application Center by entering your unique Email id and create a password of your choice.
- Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor. Click here to know who could be a Mentor.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
Who is a Mentor:
Candidates applying to Work Integrated Learning Programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. Wherever the proposed Mentor is not from the same employing organization as that of the candidate, a supporting document giving justification for the same should be provided by the candidate’s employer.
Candidates applying to B.Tech. programmes should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with B.E./ B.S./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ A.M.I.E./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or equivalent
Candidates applying to M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, M.Phil programme should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with:
B.E. / M.Sc. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / M.B.B.S. etc. and with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience
M.E./ M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Phil./ M.D./ Higher Degree of BITS or equivalent
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
Yes, UGC has approved the continued offering of M.Tech. Automotive Electronics
This programme is designed for working professionals. At the time of submitting the application, candidates must be employed in another organization. Professionals who are owners of a registered business are also eligible to apply. For detailed information, including academic background, work experience, etc. refer to the programme eligibility criteria.
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus. The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Each semester has a Mid-semester Exam and a Comprehensive Exam, which are conducted over weekends. Participants will need to appear in-person to take these exams at exams centers in the following locations:
India Centers: Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pilani, Pune
International Centers: Dubai
In case participants are unable to take an exam due to work-related commitments, there is also a provision of appearing for Make-up Exams.
The programme provides high degree of interactivity between participants and the faculty members and programme instructors. Q&A sessions during the live online lectures allow participants to pose questions to the faculty members, and seek guidance through voice and chat. Further interaction with faculty members and peers is enabled through the e-learning portal, by using discussion forums and message boards.
The programme features high usage of experiential learn components such as Simulations, Virtual Labs, and Remote Labs, in order to mimic the on-campus experience.
Participants will be given access to portals, that will allow them to access both cloud-based labs, as well as Campus-based physical labs. Using leading industry-recognised Software tools, Programming languages, and Simulation software, participants will be able to perform experiments and run simulations to advance their knowledge
Learning Continuity Assurance (LCA) is a unique initiative of BITS Pilani, that further empowers programme participants should there be a disruption in their pursuit of the programme. In case a participant needs to take a break in the middle of the programme, the LCA will help them preserve the money invested. Such participants will be able to rejoin the programme at a later date, and continue from where they left off.
For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
Candidates applying to the programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
Kindly note that BITS Pilani does not assign Mentors to programme participants.
The programme is designed for working professionals, and participants are not required to travel to a BITS campus. However, certain programme offer Campus Immersion Modules such as workshops or seminars, which are highly recommended but not mandatory.