- M.Tech. Manufacturing Management is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- The programme is of four semesters, with online classes conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours. You can pursue the programme without any career break.
- The programme focuses on areas such as Additive Manufacturing, Disruptive Innovation, Data Analytics in Operations, and IoT in Manufacturing.
- Experiential learning adopting gamified simulation content from Harvard Business Publication.
- A two full days intensive bootcamp session to learn and apply contemporary topics such as 'Design Thinking, Disruptive Innovation, Theory of Constraints, Digital Manufacturing and Judgement in Crisis'.
- The education delivery methodology is a blend of classroom and experiential learning. Experiential learning consists of lab exercises, assignments, case studies and work integrated activities.
- An annual conclave to network, learn and share best practices with the leading industry professionals and academicians.
- The Dissertation (Project Work) in the final semester enables students to apply concepts and techniques learnt during the programme.
- The programme uses a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners over convenient and regular intervals. Such a system provides timely and frequent feedback and helps busy working professionals stay on course with the programme.
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of an elite & global community of BITS Pilani Alumni.
- Option to pay fees using an easy EMI with 0% interest and 0 down payment.
BITS Pilani is an Institution of Eminence under UGC (Institution of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017. The Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) of BITS Pilani constitutes a unique set of educational offerings for working professionals. WILP are an extension of programmes offered at the BITS Pilani Campuses and are comparable to our regular programmes both in terms of unit/credit requirements as well as academic rigour. In addition, it capitalises and further builds on practical experience of students through high degree of integration, which results not only in upgradation of knowledge, but also in up skilling, and productivity increase. The programme may lead to award of degree, diploma, and certificate in science, technology/engineering, management, and humanities and social sciences. On the recommendation of the Empowered Expert Committee, UGC in its 548th Meeting held on 09.09.20 has approved the continued offering of BITS Pilani’s Work Integrated Learning programmes.
Participants need to take at least 12 courses towards coursework, and complete one Project/ Dissertation. The coursework requirement for the programme would consist of a set of core courses and electives. Core courses are compulsory for all participants, while electives can be chosen based on individual learning preferences.
- Manufacturing Planning & Control
- Total Quality Management
- Quantitative Methods
- Product Design
- Supply Chain Management
- Lean Manufacturing
- Project Management
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Elective 5
- Maintenance Engineering
- Decision Analysis
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Strategic Management & Business Policy
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Managing Change
- Managerial Corporate Finance
- Flexible Manufacturing Systems
- Manufacturing Strategy
- IoT in Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing
- Precision Engineering
- Six Sigma
Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. A limited selection of Electives will be offered at the discretion of the Institute.
For detailed programme curriculum, download the brochure.
ATTEND ONLINE LECTURES OVER WEEKENDS
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus.
Classes for students admitted during the period Apr 2023 - July 2023 will begin in July / Aug 2023. The class schedule is announced within 1 week of completion of the admission process.
The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Learners can access engaging learning material at their own pace which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content where applicable
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, Mid-semester exam, and Comprehensive Exam.
The program emphasises on application of engineering and science learnt in the class through virtual and remote labs.
- Learners perform a variety of experiments using industry scale simulation software in a virtual lab such as Flexsim, MiniTab etc.
- Controlled experiments are performed in Remote Labs, accessing physical lab equipment using remote control systems.
- Real-life scenarios are replicated using simulation games and video-cases, where learners experience implications of applying concepts in practice
CASE STUDIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the programme
DISSERTATION/ PROJECT WORK
The fourth semester offers an opportunity for learners to apply their knowledge gained during the programme to a real-world like complex project. The learner is expected to demonstrate understanding of vital principles learnt across semesters and their ability to successfully apply these concepts
The Virtual Lab is a cloud based simulation space, where participants can design, develop and test solutions for industry scale problems. The lab hosts a range of popular software tools that can simulate the complete spectrum of engineering processes to the accuracy and precision of real-life. The lab is open 24x7, 365 days with a live support.
Participants of M.Tech. Manufacturing Management can access the following Virtual Labs:
Industrial Engineering Virtual Lab
Manufacturing management is a 3D simulation platform that models, simulates, predicts, and visualizes systems in manufacturing, material handling, healthcare, warehousing, mining, logistics, etc. Participants can use this lab to perform the experiments such as Lean Manufacturing, Flexible Manufacturing Systems.
Machining Virtual Lab
Development of metal cutting processes, tool design, cutting parameters and controller settings takes a great deal of time and cost. Virtual lab contribute for improving process design and engineering of all CNC metal removal processes with short span of time. Participants can use this lab to perform the experiments such as 3 & 5 Axis machining with Siemens, Fanuc, Haas, and Mitsubishi controllers, Turning with Fanuc & Siemens controller.
Quality Management Virtual Lab
This lab enables the users to focus more on the analysis of data and the interpretation of results. Statistical analysis tool Minitab is used in this lab for formulating the problem and perform statistical analysis using response curves. Participants can use this lab to perform the experiments such as Quality assurance and reliability experiments, Quality control experiments.
Mode Of Examination
Examinations Mode Options applicable for students admitted in Batch starting in July / Aug 2023:
Semester 1, 2 and 3 have Mid-Semester Examinations and Comprehensive Examinations for each of course. These examinations are mostly scheduled on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. During these semesters, in addition to the Mid-Semester and Comprehensive examinations, there will also be Quizzes/Assignments conducted online on the Learning Management System (LMS) as per the course plan in which the students need to participate. In Semester 4 (Final Semester), the student will be doing a Dissertation/Project Work as per the Institution’s guidelines.
Two Options on Mode of Examinations:
It is institute’s endeavour to offer two options on mode of exams at the time of the registration for each semester of the programme. However, please note that Option 2 as explained below is offered purely on the discretion of the institute. Availability of Option 2 is not assured and is subject to institute’s own assessment of the feasibility of providing it. Students will need to choose one from the available option/s provided by the institute at the time of registering for every semester. The two mode of exam options are explained below:
Option 1 - Examinations at Designated Examination Centres: Students choosing this option will need to appear in person for taking the examinations at the institution’s designated examination centres as per the examination schedule, instructions, rules and guidelines announced before every examination. These designated examination centres are at the following locations: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi NCR, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Kolkata, Goa, and Pilani. In addition to these locations, Institution also has a designated examination centre in Dubai.
Option 2 - Online Examinations: Students choosing this option can take the examinations online from any location e.g. office or home. However the Institute at its discretion may choose not to offer this option and in such a case students will need to take the examinations as per Option 1 that entails appearing for the examination at any one of the designated examination centres. Also, to take an Online Examination, the student must possess a Laptop or Desktop system with Two Web Cams (One Web Cam for the student’s frontal face view and a Second Web Cam for the student’s and Laptop or Desktop system’s full side view during the exam), a smart phone and good internet connectivity. Please click here to refer to the complete details about mandatory IT and Non-IT Infrastructure requirements for taking the online examinations. A student should choose this option only if the student is confident to arrange the required mandatory IT Infrastructure and Non-IT Infrastructure to take the examinations under this mode. Students opting for online examinations would require to log in to the institution’s online examination platform as per the announce examination schedule and take the online examinations in compliance with the institution’s defined instructions, guidelines, and rules which are announced before all examinations.
Important: While it will be institute’s endeavour to offer both the above options for students to choose from at the time of registering for any semester, however availability of the online mode option may not always be feasible or is assured and Institute at its own discretion could choose to offer only Option 1 as mentioned above. Also note that The Institute regularly takes actions to optimize its examination system and hence the mandatory IT and Non-IT Infrastructure requirements, instructions, guidelines, and rules associated with both the above mentioned examination modes may change anytime at the Institute's discretion. All students will need to 100% comply with any such changed specifications announced by the Institute.
Minimum eligibility to apply: Employed professionals working in Manufacturing and allied business organizations, holding B Tech., BE, M.Sc, or equivalent in relevant disciplines, with at least 60% aggregate marks and minimum one year of work experience after the completion of the degree in relevant domains..
The programme is designed for highly driven and ambitious professionals who wish to advance their careers in the area of Manufacturing Engineering, and grow into leadership roles with global enterprises.
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2023-24.
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 63,500
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay INR 80,000/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre. Option to pay fees using an easy EMI with 0% interest and 0 down payment. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
Important: For every course in the program institute will recommend textbooks, students would need to procure these textbooks on their own.
How to Apply
- Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor. Click here to know who could be a Mentor.
Who is a Mentor:
Candidates applying to Work Integrated Learning Programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. Wherever the proposed Mentor is not from the same employing organization as that of the candidate, a supporting document giving justification for the same should be provided by the candidate’s employer.
Candidates applying to B.Tech. programmes should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with B.E./ B.S./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ A.M.I.E./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or equivalent
Candidates applying to M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, M.Phil programme should choose a Mentor who is an employedprofessional with:
B.E. / M.Sc. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / M.B.B.S. etc. and with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience
M.E./ M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Phil./ M.D./ Higher Degree of BITS or equivalent
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
M.Tech. Manufacturing Management is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
This programme is designed for working professionals. At the time of submitting the application, candidates must be employed in another organization. Professionals who are owners of a registered business are also eligible to apply. For detailed information, including academic background, work experience, etc. refer to the programme eligibility criteria.
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus. The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Each semester has a Mid-semester Exam and a Comprehensive Exam, which are conducted over weekends. Participants will need to appear in-person to take these exams at exams centers in the following locations:
India Centers: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pilani, Pune
International Centers: Dubai
In case participants are unable to take an exam due to work-related commitments, there is also a provision of appearing for Make-up Exams.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, an option of taking exams online is also being offered. For details, please refer to the programme brochure.
The programme provides high degree of interactivity between participants and the faculty members and programme instructors. Q&A sessions during the live online lectures allow participants to pose questions to the faculty members, and seek guidance through voice and chat. Further interaction with faculty members and peers is enabled through the e-learning portal, by using discussion forums and message boards.
The programme features high usage of experiential learn components such as Simulations, Virtual Labs, and Remote Labs, in order to mimic the on-campus experience.
Participants will be given access to portals, that will allow them to access both cloud-based labs, as well as Campus-based physical labs. Using leading industry-recognised Software tools, Programming languages, and Simulation software, participants will be able to perform experiments and run simulations to advance their knowledge
Candidates applying to the programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
Kindly note that BITS Pilani does not assign Mentors to programme participants.
The programme is designed for working professionals, and participants are not required to travel to a BITS campus. However, certain programme offer Campus Immersion Modules such as workshops or seminars, which are highly recommended but not mandatory.