- M.Tech. Environmental Engineering is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- The programme is of four semesters, with online classes conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours. You can pursue the programme without any career break.
- Lectures are delivered by BITS Pilani faculty members and experienced industry professionals.
- Comprehensive programme covering Wastewater Systems, Solid Waste Management, Waste Treatment Plants, Environmental Remote Sensing, Environmental Systems Modelling, Applied Transport Phenomena, Air Pollution Control Technologies, Environmental Statistics and more.
- The Dissertation in the final semester enables students to apply concepts and techniques learnt during course work to solve current environmental problems.
- The programme uses a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners over convenient and regular intervals. Such a system provides timely and frequent feedback and helps busy working professionals stay on course with the programme.
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of an elite & global community of BITS Pilani Alumni.
- Option to submit fee using easy-EMI with 0% interest.
BITS Pilani is an Institution of Eminence under UGC (Institution of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017. The Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) of BITS Pilani constitutes a unique set of educational offerings for working professionals. WILP are an extension of programmes offered at the BITS Pilani Campuses and are comparable to our regular programmes both in terms of unit/credit requirements as well as academic rigour. In addition, it capitalises and further builds on practical experience of students through high degree of integration, which results not only in upgradation of knowledge, but also in up skilling, and productivity increase. The programme may lead to award of degree, diploma, and certificate in science, technology/engineering, management, and humanities and social sciences. On the recommendation of the Empowered Expert Committee, UGC in its 548th Meeting held on 09.09.20 has approved the continued offering of BITS Pilani’s Work Integrated Learning programmes.
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Management Systems
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Elective 5
- Applied Transport Phenomena
- Environmental Sampling and Analytical Methods
- Elective 6
- Elective 7
- Physico – Chemical Treatment Principles & Design for Wastewater systems
- Biological Treatment Principles & Design for Wastewater systems
- Environmental Statistics
- Energy Generation and Management in Waste Treatment Plants
- Environmental Remote Sensing and GIS
- Environmental Systems Modelling
- Air Pollution Control Technologies
- Solid Waste Management
- Environmental Process Engineering
- Environmental Impact and Risk Assessment
Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. A limited selection of Electives will be offered at the discretion of the Institute.
For detailed programme curriculum, download the brochure.
ATTEND ONLINE LECTURES OVER WEEKENDS
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus.
Classes for students admitted during the period Apr-July 2022 will begin in July / Aug 2022. The class schedule will be announced within 1 week of completion of the admission process. The online lectures are conducted usually over the weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also easily access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Learners can access engaging learning materials at their own pace and convenience which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content.
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, Mid-semester exam, and Comprehensive Exam.
The programme emphasizes on experiential learning that allows learners to apply concepts learnt in classroom in simulated and real work situations:
- Simulations and Lab Exercises: Virtual laboratory exercises enables learners to use software’s/modeling tools to carryout simulations to obtain the result of particular experiment. Such exercises provide an approximate version of the real world experiment.
- Case Studies and Assignments: Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the programme.
- Dissertation: Dissertation work in the fourth semester offers an opportunity for learners to address environmental problems related to either their own organization or society by applying knowledge gained during the programme. They are expected to demonstrate the concepts learnt during their course work while solving the environmental problems.
Mode Of Examination
Examinations Mode Options applicable for students admitted in Batch starting in July/Aug 2022
Semester 1, 2 and 3 have Mid-semester Examinations and Comprehensive Examinations for each of the course. These examinations are mostly scheduled over weekends. During these semesters, In addition to the mid-semester and comprehensive examinations, there will also be quizzes/assignments conducted online as per course plan which the students need to participate. In the Semester 4 (Final Semester), Student will be doing a dissertation (project work) as per Institution’s guidelines.
Two Options on Mode of Examinations during Semester 1 & 2:
Institution offers a choice between taking the examination online or taking them at a designated examination centre. The student will choose one of the option depending on his or her own preference and circumstances. Both options are explained below:
Online Examinations: Students choosing this option can take the examinations online from any location e.g. office or home. To take an online examination, student must possess a laptop or desktop with two web cams (One Web Cam for students frontal face view and second Web Cam for student’s full side profile view), a smart phone and good internet connectivity. As per the examination schedule, the student is expected to login to the institution’s online examination platform and take the examinations in compliance with institution’s defined guidelines and rules announced before the examinations. For full details about hardware, software and connectivity requirements to take online examination, click here.
Examinations at Designated Examination Centers: Students choosing this option will need to appear in person for taking the examinations at institution’s designated examination centers. These designated examination centers are at the following locations: Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Goa, Delhi NCR, Pilani and Kolkata. In addition to these location, Institution also has a designated examination center at Dubai. Please note that offering of examinations at designated examination centers is subject to institution’s assessment of the safety conditions as per prevailing pandemic conditions and also subject to a required minimum number of students preferring this option. The institution may choose to not offer this option, if as per its own assessment the safety situation due to pandemic conditions is not conducive to conduct examinations at designated examination centers or if as per its assessment, adequate no of students have not preferred for this option. In circumstances as explained, Institute will then conduct the examinations only in the online mode.
Important: The option of taking Online Exams for Semester 1, 2 & 3 will remain available for normal duration of the programme. However, in case a student chooses to take a break in the programme, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time the student resumes the programme. Also, if a student has backlog course/s to successfully complete and due to which he/she needs to register in additional semester/s over and above the normal duration of the programmes, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time when student registers for an additional semester.
Mode of Examinations for Semester 3:
One or both of the options on the mode of the examination as listed above for Semester 1 & 2 will be made available as per discretion of the institution. Institution decision on mode of examinations will take into account its assessment of the pandemic situation and any other feasibility constraints associated with each mode. The Institution’s decision on mode of examination to be offered to the student will be as per its sole discretion and students must comply by the institution’s decision.
Mode of Evaluation for Semester 4 (Final Semester):
During Semester 4, students will be required to register for a full semester Dissertation (Project work). Each submission required for Dissertation as per institution’s guidelines can be made ONLINE on a BITS Pilani’s approved and managed online assessment platform.
MApplicants must fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be employed professionals holding B.E / B.Tech / M.Sc./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or its equivalent in relevant disciplines such as Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Mechanical Engineering, with at least 60% aggregate marks.
- Applicants must have adequate preparation in Mathematics at the 10+2 or Graduation level.
- Applicants must have a minimum of one year of work experience in domains related to Environmental Science/ Engineering or allied areas.
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2022-23.
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 60,500
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay INR 77,000/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre. Option to submit fee using easy-EMI with 0% interest. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
How to Apply
- Create your login at the Application Center by entering your unique Email id and create a password of your choice. Once your login has been created, you can anytime access the Online Application Center using your email id and password.
- Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor. Click here to know who could be a Mentor.
Who is a Mentor:
Candidates applying to Work Integrated Learning Programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. Wherever the proposed Mentor is not from the same employing organization as that of the candidate, a supporting document giving justification for the same should be provided by the candidate’s employer.
Candidates applying to B.Tech. programmes should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with B.E./ B.S./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ A.M.I.E./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or equivalent
Candidates applying to M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, M.Phil programme should choose a Mentor who is an employedprofessional with:
B.E. / M.Sc. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / M.B.B.S. etc. and with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience
M.E./ M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Phil./ M.D./ Higher Degree of BITS or equivalent
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
M.Tech. Environmental Engineering is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
The programme is suited to the learning needs of professionals employed in Government, Semi-Government organizations/ departments, such as PWD, sewerage infrastructure development corporation, Municipal Corporations and administrations, sea ports, industrial development corporation, Urban Development Authorities, Rural Development Authorities, Pollution Control Boards, waste management authorities water resources, and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Professional working with other organizations such as NGOs, Private industries etc. should also consider applying to the programme.
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus. The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Each semester has a Mid-semester Exam and a Comprehensive Exam, which are conducted over weekends. Participants will need to appear in-person to take these exams at exams centers in the following locations:
India Centers: Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pilani, Pune
International Centers: Dubai
In case participants are unable to take an exam due to work-related commitments, there is also a provision of appearing for Make-up Exams.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, an option of taking exams online is also being offered. For details, please refer to the programme brochure.
The programme provides high degree of interactivity between participants and the faculty members and programme instructors. Q&A sessions during the live online lectures allow participants to pose questions to the faculty members, and seek guidance through voice and chat. Further interaction with faculty members and peers is enabled through the e-learning portal, by using discussion forums and message boards.
The programme features high usage of experiential learn components such as Simulations, Virtual Labs, and Remote Labs, in order to mimic the on-campus experience.
Participants will be given access to portals, that will allow them to access both cloud-based labs, as well as Campus-based physical labs. Using leading industry-recognised Software tools, Programming languages, and Simulation software, participants will be able to perform experiments and run simulations to advance their knowledge
Candidates applying to the programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
Kindly note that BITS Pilani does not assign Mentors to programme participants.
The programme is designed for working professionals, and participants are not required to travel to a BITS campus. However, certain programme offer Campus Immersion Modules such as workshops or seminars, which are highly recommended but not mandatory.