- Integrated M.Tech. Software Systems is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
- The programme is of eight semesters, with online classes conducted mostly on weekends or after business hours. You can pursue the programme without any career break.
- The programme offers a set of core courses and elective courses, allowing students to specialize in Data Analytics, IoT, Embedded Systems, Security, Networks and Cloud.
- The programme makes use of Languages, Platforms, and Libraries. These include NS2, Net-SNMP, WireShark, R, Python, Prolog, Lisp, RStudio, Weka, Microsoft Power BI, TensorFlow, Anaconda Navigator, Python Ecosystem – NumPy, SciPi, Pandas, scikit-learn, MatplotLib; Searborn, Keras, NLTK, pgmpy etc., Keil, CCS Studio, Tossim, Cheddar, Jenkins, GitHub, SonarQube, Selenium, Tomcat, Maven, Java, Eclipse, Code::Blocks, Android Studio, Jupyter Notebooks, Spyder, Multisim, CPU-OS Simulator, SQLite, MATLAB, Gantt Project, Open Project and XAMPP.
- Semesters 1-7 cover four courses each. The 8th semester covers Dissertation/ Project Work
- The Dissertation (Project Work) in the final semester enables students to apply concepts and techniques learnt during the programme in real-world situationssemester enables students to apply concepts and techniques learned during the programme in real-world situations.
- The programme uses a Continuous Evaluation System that assesses the learners over convenient and regular intervals. Such as system provides timely and frequent feedback and helps busy working professionals stay on course with the programme
- The education delivery methodology is a blend of classroom and experiential learning. Experiential learning consists of lab exercises, assignments, case studies and work integrated activities
- Lab exercises consist of programming exercises, experiments using simulation tools, analysis and design of systems, etc. Some of the tools used in assignments are Code::Blocks, SQLite, Star UML, NS2, WireShark and Keil
- Participants who successfully complete the programme will become members of an elite & global community of BITS Pilani Alumni
The programme offers specialisations in high-demand areas such as Data Analytics, Internet of Things, Embedded Systems, Security, Networks and Cloud.
- Discrete Structures for Computer Science
- Linear Algebra & Optimization
- Computer Programming
- Digital Electronics & Microprocessors
- Object Oriented Programming and Design
- Systems Programming
- Computer Organization & Architecture
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Probability & Statistics
- Database Systems & Applications
- Operating Systems
- Elective 1
- Compiler Design
- Software Engineering
- Computer Networks
- Software Testing
- Distributed Computing
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Elective 4
- Software Architectures
- Elective 5
- Elective 6
- Elective 7
- Elective 8
- Elective 9
- Elective 10
- Elective 11
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Organization and Software Systems
- Distributed Data Systems
- Software Engineering and Management
- Usability Engineering
- Object-oriented Analysis & Design
For more information on programme curriculum download the programme brochure
Choice of Electives is made available to enrolled students at the beginning of each semester. A limited selection of Electives will be offered at the discretion of the Institute.
ATTEND ONLINE LECTURES OVER WEEKENDS
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus.
Classes for students admitted during the period Apr-July 2022 will begin in July / Aug 2022.
The class schedule is announced within 1 week of completion of the admission process.
The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Learners can access engaging learning material which includes recorded lectures from BITS Pilani faculty members, course handouts and recorded lab content where applicable.
Continuous Assessment includes graded Assignments/ Quizzes, Mid-semester exam, and Comprehensive Exam.
CASE STUDIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
Carefully chosen real-world cases & assignments are both discussed and used as problem-solving exercises during the programme.
DISSERTATION/ PROJECT WORK
The final semester offers an opportunity for learners to apply their knowledge gained during the programme to a real-world like complex project. The learner is expected to demonstrate understanding of vital principles learnt across semesters and their ability to successfully apply these concepts.
The programme emphasises on Experiential Learning that allows learners to apply concepts learnt in the classroom in simulated, and real work situations. This is achieved through:
Simulation Tools, Platforms & Environments: Some or all of the following would be utilised across the programme.
- Cloud based virtual lab which supports the following programming languages/tools/simulators:
- Networks: NS2, Net-SNMP and WireShark
- Data Analytics:
- Languages: R, Python, Prolog and Lisp
- Platforms: RStudio, Weka, Microsoft Power BI, TensorFlow and Anaconda Navigator
- Libraries: Python Ecosystem – NumPy, SciPi, Pandas, scikit-learn, MatplotLib; Searborn, Keras, NLTK, pgmpy etc.
- Embedded and IOT: Keil, CCS Studio, Tossim and Cheddar
- Devops: Jenkins, GitHub, SonarQube, Selenium, Tomcat and Maven
- Programming Environments: Java, Eclipse, Code::Blocks, Android Studio, Jupyter Notebooks and Spyder
- Others: Multisim, CPU-OS Simulator, SQLite, MATLAB, , Gantt Project, Open Project and XAMPP
- Remote Lab facility caters to the needs of resource intensive requirements of Big Data Analytics applications with the following platforms:
- Apache Hadoop
- Apache Storm
- Apache Spark
- Apache Kafka
- Remote Lab facility caters to the needs of Embedded Systems and IoT. It supports the following:
- Hardware / Software tools: MultiCore STM32 microcontroller based development boards.
- Simulation tools: Tossim, Cheddar and Keil
Employed professionals holding B.Sc./BCA Degree or its equivalent in relevant disciplines with minimum 60% aggregate marks and adequate background in Mathematics, with a minimum one-year work experience in the relevant domains.
BITS Pilani is an Institution of Eminence under UGC (Institution of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017. The Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) of BITS Pilani constitutes a unique set of educational offerings for working professionals. WILP are an extension of programmes offered at the BITS Pilani Campuses and are comparable to our regular programmes both in terms of unit/credit requirements as well as academic rigour. In addition, it capitalises and further builds on practical experience of students through high degree of integration, which results not only in upgradation of knowledge, but also in up skilling, and productivity increase. The programme may lead to award of degree, diploma, and certificate in science, technology/engineering, management, and humanities and social sciences. On the recommendation of the Empowered Expert Committee, UGC in its 548th Meeting held on 09.09.20 has approved the continued offering of BITS Pilani’s Work Integrated Learning programmes.
Online Exams Option
Examinations Mode Options applicable for students admitted in Batch starting in July/Aug 2022
Semester 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 have Mid-semester Examinations and Comprehensive Examinations for each of the course. These examinations are mostly scheduled over weekends. During these semesters, In addition to the mid-semester and comprehensive examinations, there will also be quizzes/assignments conducted online as per course plan which the students need to participate. In the Semester 8 (Final Semester), Student will be doing a full-semester Project Work as per Institution’s guidelines.
Two Options on Mode of Examinations during Semester 1 & 2:
Institution offers a choice between taking the examination online or taking them at a designated examination centre. The student will choose one of the option depending on his or her own preference and circumstances. Both options are explained below:
Online Examinations: Students choosing this option can take the examinations online from any location e.g. office or home. To take an online examination, student must possess a laptop or desktop with two web cams (One Web Cam for students frontal face view and second Web Cam for student’s full side profile view), a smart phone and good internet connectivity. As per the examination schedule, the student is expected to login to the institution’s online examination platform and take the examinations in compliance with institution’s defined guidelines and rules announced before the examinations. For full details about hardware, software and connectivity requirements to take online examination click here, click here.
Examinations at Designated Examination Centers: Students choosing this option will need to appear in person for taking the examinations at institution’s designated examination centers. These designated examination centers are at the following locations: Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Goa, Delhi NCR, Pilani and Kolkata. In addition to these location, Institution also has a designated examination center at Dubai. Please note that offering of examinations at designated examination centers is subject to institution’s assessment of the safety conditions as per prevailing pandemic conditions and also subject to a required minimum number of students preferring this option. The institution may choose to not offer this option, if as per its own assessment the safety situation due to pandemic conditions is not conducive to conduct examinations at designated examination centers or if as per its assessment, adequate no of students have not preferred for this option. In circumstances as explained, Institute will then conduct the examinations only in the online mode.
Important: The option of taking Online Exams for Semester 1 & 2 will remain available for normal duration of the programme. However, in case a student chooses to take a break in the programme, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time the student resumes the programme. Also, if a student has backlog course/s to successfully complete and due to which he/she needs to register in additional semester/s over and above the normal duration of the programmes, the options on the mode of examination available will be as prevailing at the time when student registers for an additional semester.
Mode of Examinations for Semester 3, 4, 5, 6, 7:
One or both of the options on the mode of the examination as listed above for Semester 1 & 2 will be made available as per discretion of the institution. Institution decision on mode of examinations will take into account its assessment of the pandemic situation and any other feasibility constraints associated with each mode. The Institution’s decision on mode of examination to be offered to the student will be as per its sole discretion and students must comply by the institution’s decision.
Mode of Evaluation for Semester 8 (Final Semester):
During Semester 8, students will be required to register for a full semester Dissertation. Each submission required for Dissertation as per institution’s guidelines can be made ONLINE on a BITS Pilani’s approved and managed online assessment platform.
The following fees schedule is applicable for candidates seeking new admission during the academic year 2022-23.
- Application Fees (one time) : INR 1,500
- Admission Fees (one time) : INR 16,500
- Semester Fees (per semester) : INR 60,500
The one-time Application Fee is to be paid at the time of submitting the Application Form through the Online Application Centre.
Admission Fee (one-time) and Semester Fee (for the First Semester) are to be paid together once admission is offered to the candidate. Thus, a candidate who has been offered admission will have to pay INR 77,000/-. You may choose to make the payment using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card through the Online Application Centre. Option to submit fee using easy-EMI with 0% interest. Click here to learn more.
Semester Fee for subsequent semesters will only be payable later, i.e. at the beginning of those respective semesters.
Any candidate who desires to discontinue from the programme after confirmation of admission & registration for the courses specified in the admit offer letter will forfeit the total amount of fees paid.
For the examination centre at Dubai, in addition to the semester fees, for each semester there will be an examination centre fees of 1000 UAE Dirhams or equivalent per semester out of which 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in Mid-semester examinations at Dubai Centre for that semester and the remaining 500 UAE Dirhams is to be paid at the time of appearing in comprehensive examinations at Dubai centre for that semester.
All the above fees are non-refundable.
How to Apply
- Click here to visit the BITS Pilani Online Application Center.Create your login at the Application Center by entering your unique Email id and create a password of your choice. Once your login has been created, you can anytime access the Online Application Center using your email id and password.
- Once you have logged in, you will see a screen showing 4 essential steps to be completed to apply for the programme of your choice.
- Begin by clicking on Step 1 - ‘Fill/ Edit and Submit Application Form’. This will enable you to select the programme of your choice. After you have chosen your programme, you will be asked to fill your details in an online form. You must fill all the details and press ‘Submit’ button given at the bottom of the form.
- Take the next step by clicking on Step 2 - 'Download Application PDF Copy’. This will download a pdf copy of the application form on your computer.
- Now, click on Step 3 - 'Pay Application Fee’ to pay INR 1,500/- using Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card.
- Take a printout of the downloaded Application Form and note down the Application Form Number displayed on the top-right corner of the first page. This Application Form Number should be referred in all future correspondence with BITS Pilani.
In the printout of the downloaded Application Form, you will notice on page no. 3 a section called the Employer Consent Form. Complete the Employer Consent Form. This form needs to be signed and stamped by your organisation’s HR or any other authorised signatory of the company.
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their HR/ other authorised organisational representative. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the HR using the format available through this link.
Further on page no. 4 of the printed Application Form is a section called the Mentor Consent Form. The Mentor Consent Form needs to be signed by the Mentor. Click here to know who could be a Mentor.
Who is a Mentor:
Candidates applying to Work Integrated Learning Programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. Wherever the proposed Mentor is not from the same employing organization as that of the candidate, a supporting document giving justification for the same should be provided by the candidate’s employer.
Candidates applying to B.Tech. programmes should choose a Mentor who is an employed professional with B.E./ B.S./ B.Tech./ M.Sc./ A.M.I.E./ Integrated First Degree of BITS or equivalent
Candidates applying to M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, M.Phil programme should choose a Mentor who is an employedprofessional with:
B.E. / M.Sc. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / M.B.B.S. etc. and with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience
M.E./ M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Phil./ M.D./ Higher Degree of BITS or equivalent
Important: In view of work-from-home policies mandated by many organisations, a few candidates may not be able to get the physical forms signed by their Mentor. Such candidates may instead request an email approval to be sent to their official email ID by the Mentor using the format available through this link.
- Further on page no. 5 of the downloaded Application Form, is a Checklist of Enclosures/ Attachments.
- Make photocopies of the documents mentioned in this Checklist.
- Applicants are required to self-attest all academic mark sheets and certificates.
- Finally, click on Step 4 - 'Upload & Submit All Required Documents’. This will allow you to upload one-by-one the printed Application Form, Mentor Consent Form, Employer Consent Form, and all mandatory supporting documents and complete the application process. Acceptable file formats for uploading these documents are DOC, DOCX, PDF, ZIP and JPEG.
- Upon receipt of your Application Form and all other enclosures, the Admissions Cell will scrutinise them for completeness, accuracy and eligibility.
- Admission Cell will intimate selected candidates by email within two weeks of submission of application with all supporting documents. The selection status can also be checked by logging in to the Online Application Centre.
The programme features live online sessions on some of the most exciting developments, and pressing issues faced by businesses in the technology space. Speakers include business leaders, R&D professionals, and academicians from leading technology firms and institutions.
Some of the recent and upcoming sessions include:
Title of Tech Talk
|Personalizing the Online Grocery Substitution Experience||February 2022||Dr. Rahul Ghosh, Senior Director of Data Science, Walmart India
Kamiya Motwani, Senior Data Science Manager, Walmart India
|Applying Data Science Technologies in HealthCare||December 2021||Manisha Mantri, Joint Director, C-DAC, Pune|
|Financial Risk Modelling using ML Techniques||November 2021||Mayank Rasu, Guest Faculty at WILP CSIS Department|
|Enterprise Cloud Transformation Journey||October 2021||Surendra Tipparaju, Principal Architect Manager, Microsoft Hyderabad|
|Cyber Threat Intelligence||June 2021||Nandi Dharma KishoRe H.N., Assistant Vice President - K7 Threat Control Lab|
|Cellular V2X||May 2021||Brijesh Unnikrishnan, Principa
|3D processing and Computation - An Engineering View||May 2021||Dr. Raghavendra Singh, Directo
|SDLC in the Devops world||April 2021||Meshach Samuel, Associate VP, HCL|
|Recent Trends in Database Administration||April, 2021||Gautam Avarsala
Managing Director, dBPro Software Solutions
|Service Assurance in 5G networks: An AI/ML perspective||
|Ashvin Lakshmikantha, Principal Engineer –System Architecture
Anand Eswaran, Principal Engineer – System Architecture
Cloud Networking Group, Ericsson R&D, Bangalore
|Blockchain:Technology backbone for Digital economy||March, 2021||Sridhar Vedhanabatla
Associate Director, Information Security & Privacy, Gainsight
Integrated M.Tech. Software Systems is a BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programme (WILP). BITS Pilani Work Integrated Learning Programmes are UGC approved.
This programme is designed for working professionals. At the time of submitting the application, candidates must be employed in another organization. Professionals who are owners of a registered business are also eligible to apply. For detailed information, including academic background, work experience, etc. refer to the programme eligibility criteria.
Lectures are conducted live via online classes. These lectures can be attended via the internet using a computer from any location. These online classrooms offer similar levels of interactivity as regular classrooms at the BITS Pilani campus. The online lectures are conducted usually over weekends for a total of 7-8 hours per week. If you miss a lecture, you can also access the recorded lecture on the internet.
Each semester has a Mid-semester Exam and a Comprehensive Exam, which are conducted over weekends. Participants will need to appear in-person to take these exams at exams centers in the following locations:
India Centers: Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pilani, Pune
International Centers: Dubai
In case participants are unable to take an exam due to work-related commitments, there is also a provision of appearing for Make-up Exams.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, an option of taking exams online is also being offered. For details, please refer to the programme brochure.
The programme provides high degree of interactivity between participants and the faculty members and programme instructors. Q&A sessions during the live online lectures allow participants to pose questions to the faculty members, and seek guidance through voice and chat. Further interaction with faculty members and peers is enabled through the e-learning portal, by using discussion forums and message boards.
The programme features high usage of experiential learn components such as Simulations, Virtual Labs, and Remote Labs, in order to mimic the on-campus experience.
Participants will be given access to portals, that will allow them to access both cloud-based labs, as well as Campus-based physical labs. Using leading industry-recognised Software tools, Programming languages, and Simulation software, participants will be able to perform experiments and run simulations to advance their knowledge
Candidates applying to the programmes must choose a Mentor, who will monitor the academic progress of the candidate, and act as an advisor & coach for successful completion of the programme. Candidates should ideally choose the immediate supervisor or another senior person from the same organisation. In case a suitable mentor is not available in the same organisation, a candidate could approach a senior person in another organisation who has the required qualifications. For detailed information, please refer to the programme brochure.
Kindly note that BITS Pilani does not assign Mentors to programme participants.
The programme is designed for working professionals, and participants are not required to travel to a BITS campus. However, certain programme offer Campus Immersion Modules such as workshops or seminars, which are highly recommended but not mandatory.